I experienced my first earthquake today. 5.1 magnitude. Quite the adventure. Needless to say, I really did not know what was happening until it was almost over. I was so scared I was frozen in my seat. "Proper" earthquake safety says to get under something- like a desk. I spent most of the earthquake running around the room trying to find a desk. I then spent the last 15 seconds of it or so trying not to throw up- I was quite nervous. Give me a tornado any day over that! It also didn't help that as we were walking back into the school (leaving the building is the second step in earthquake safety) my cooperating teacher got quite close to my ear without me seeing her and exclaimed "Well that's something to write home about". Good thing God made skin so tight, because I jumped so fast that- if skin was looser- it would have not gone with me. Ohh, what an adventure!
I thought I would take this time to reflect on my last two-ish weeks here and everything I have learned so far. One thing I always appreciate about travelling is that you learn so much about yourself and life by doing it.
So here are my life lessons/what God has shown me through coming to Nicaragua(the two are intermixed, so bear with me here)-
1. After a long, hot and dusty day, a COLD shower is the most amazing feeling.
2. God knew what He was doing when he placed me at NCA. Student teaching is stressful and I have only been worrying about it since sophomore year. Trust me when I say- God saw the big picture with this whole thing. *there is a whole lot more I could say about this, but it's not internet appropriate. More like, let's sit down over a cup of coffee and we'll talk...God never ceases to amaze me.
3. "There is something about this country that makes you go to bed early and get up early." For the past two weeks, I have been up by 5:30 am. Morning person much? I think so...
4. I have found that my calling to be a teacher is not something I should be worrying about at 5:30 in the morning. Or at 6:30 in the morning. Because for the past week, those times have been the times when I am least likely to feel "called" to do anything except go back to bed. I just need to trust that the "re-affirmation" will be coming later in the day...Usually at about 9:35am when I go pick up my little first graders.
5. Geckos are gross. In cages they are fine. Running around my shower, not so fine.
6. Don't eat the lettuce. If you do, it will take two weeks to feel normal again.
7. I should have dyed my hair brown...it would eliminate a lot of problems.
8. Running sprints/running in general helps me organize my thoughts.
9. Tortillas- if left for more then two days- turn into a pile of mush.
10. If you think apartment living is noisy at Dordt, I can hear everything my neighbors, and their neighbors, and THEIR neighbors do at all times of the day.
11. I never knew my hair was so...curly.
12. Singing Spanish praise songs at 7am on a Friday is the best way to end a busy week.
13. I am seriously rethinking some major things about my life. ie. where I want to be next year. I am anxiously awaiting God's direction.
14. God places people and places in your life for a reason. Often times, i don't even know my own wounds until I am in a place of healing for them. People are so real down here. There is no beating around the bush or excuses made for with-holding parts of their lives. They are simply who God created them to be and accept who other people were created to be. And it's wonderfully refreshing.
15. and last but not least- Coke is amazing outside of the States.
There you go. So little things I have learned so far and some big life lessons God is working on teaching me. I just have to keep reminding myself that this side of Heaven, I am a work in progress. The destination makes this worth it:)
Have a marvelous Friday everyone!
Talking over coffee? YES PLEASE. Wow- this post has me SO excited for you!! And 1st graders!?! I can't wait to hear about it all :) LOVE YOU!!!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I laughed out loud with the jumping out of the skin reference :)