Thursday, January 13, 2011

A little insight into life in Nicaragua...

This morning, one of the couples at the school announced that they had been robbed-like "hole punched in fence, broken into, house completely ransacked, kids' Christmas toys stolen" kind of robbed. The couple themselves were doing okay with it, but their kids were feeling quite violated and vulnerable. I can totally understand why. This incident spawned quite the interesting conversation in 7th grade homeroom this morning. The boys had been reading a story about how they should not store up treasures on this earth "where moth and rust destroy or where theives break in a steal". All the boys had heard what had happened to the other family and they were all eager to share their own stories of being robbed. It amazed me because EVERY SINGLE HAND WENT UP! Everyone had a story to share. "My friend was robbed last week!" "Thieves took my Playstation." "I was robbed at gun point and they took my backpack." Robbed at GUNPOINT. It blew my mind. These kids are in seventh grade. SEVENTH! And already this is what they have experienced. My teacher's words after that little conversation were "Everyone has had an experience with it." Even her. (She shared her story with me after class). Here I am, a little blond haired, blue eyed girl from Iowa who has spent the last three/four years not locking my door. Granted, I am usually the one pushing for it to be locked but sometimes certain people can't remember their key...:)...so the door stays unlocked. The differences between the two worlds just blows my mind sometimes. I doubt this will be the last time I am completely shocked my something, it is most likely the first incident in many. It just never ceases to amaze me how easy my life has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment